Spicy Sausage and Bean Casserole
- 8-12 premium quality, thick pork sausages, depending on appetite
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, stalk and seeds removed and flesh cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, stalk and seeds removed and flesh cut into2cm pieces
- 1 medium yellow pepper, stalk and seeds removed and flesh cut into2cm pieces
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ordried sage
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 x 400g cans mixed beans, drained
- 300ml hot beef stock
- 1½ tablespoons cornflour mixed in 50ml water
- Salt to season
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Heat the oil in the casserole over a medium heat and cook the sausages for 5-6 minutes until nicely browned on all sides. Remove and reserve.
Add the sliced onion to the casserole and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for 2 minutes more.
Stir in the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, sage, mustard, black pepper, canned tomatoes, beans and stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Return the browned sausages to the casserole, mix into the sauce, put on the lid and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the cornflour and water mixture, stir until thickened and season to taste.
Just before serving stir in the freshly chopped parsley.