- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
- 160g chorizo sausage, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube or sachet
- 1½ cups long-grain rice
- 300g white fish fillets, such as hake or kingklip, cubed
- 12 large mussels in shells, debearded and scrubbed
- 300g prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Sauté the onion in the oil until it turns translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the chicken, chorizo, peppers and paprika. Season and brown for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
Add the water and stock, and bring to the boil. Add the rice, reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the cubed fish and the mussels, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes or until the fish and prawns are cooked and the mussels have opened. Discard any unopened mussels.
Season, stir gently to mix, add the chopped parsley and serve.