Tutti Frutti Carrot Cake
This simple yet delicious cake has a rich, velvety texture and is crammed with fruity goodness as well as nuts, seeds and spices that promote and aid wellness. There is no added sugar as xylitol, grated apple and dates are used as substitutes to sweeten the mixture. The icing on the cake is a delicious probiotic rooibos flavoured yoghurt combined with a little gelatine to give it a more luxurious and thick consistency without the unnecessary addition of butter icing or cream cheese.
- 3 large free range eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) good quality xylitol
- ½ cup (125ml) canola oil (GMO free)
- 180g coarsely grated carrot
- 100g grated apple
- ¼ cup (60ml) each pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 80g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 50g dried cranberries, plus extra for garnish
- 50g raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 200g ground raw almonds
- 150g brown bread wheat flour (wholegrain flour)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) low fat rooibos yoghurt
- 1 tsp (5ml) powdered gelatine
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish
Place the eggs, xylitol and oil together in a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined; the mixture should be a thick dropping consistency.
Lightly grease the baking pan of your choice with a little canola oil and dollop the batter into the pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until the cake is well risen and when a skewer is inserted to the deepest section of the cake it comes out clean. Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and set aside to cool completely.
While the cake is cooling, make the icing; place the yoghurt into a small bowl and dissolve the gelatine with 2 tbsp boiling water and whisk into the yoghurt. Chill until needed.
Once the cake is cooled place it onto your favourite Le Creuset serving plate and top with yoghurt. Garnish with dried cranberries and a few sprigs of mint and serve with your favourite cuppa.
Recipe and images courtesy of Pia-Alexa Duarte, Junior Food Editor: Fairlady magazine.