Turkey, Ham and Vegetable Gratin
- 165g butter
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 120g cake flour
- 1,5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 600ml double cream
- 3 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt to season
- 1 to 1,2kg cooked turkey meat, roughly chopped
- 900g cooked ham, roughly chopped
- 500g cooked Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1 to 1,2kg mixed cooked vegetables such as carrots, leeks, green beans, peas, asparagus or broccoli, in any combination
- 230g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp mixed fresh herbs (thyme, sage, parsley), chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 140g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a 33cm cast-iron Signature Roaster over low to medium heat on the hob. Add the onions and gently sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until softened and lightly caramelised, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the flour and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove the roaster from the heat and, using a silicone whisk, stir in the stock a little at a time, followed by the cream, until smoothly incorporated.
Return the roaster to the heat, bring to a simmer and cook while stirring until thickened. Add the pepper and nutmeg, and season to taste with salt.
Stir the leftovers into the sauce and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
To make the topping, combine the breadcrumbs, herbs, lemon zest and cheese, and sprinkle over the top of the dish. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Serve with crusty bread.