Steamed Beer Bread with Herbed Bokkom Butter
- 500g self-raising flour
- 5ml fresh rosemary, very finely chopped
- Coarse ground sea salt and black pepper
- 1 x 340ml bottle of beer
For the butter:
- 50g salted butter, at room temperature
- 10ml finely chopped rosemary
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- The zest of half a lemon
- 5ml finely grated bokkom (optional)
- Black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a large bowl, combine the flour, chopped rosemary and about 2ml each of salt and pepper. Add the beer and stir until a batter forms.
Grease the inside of the Le Creuset Mussel Pot with butter and spoon in the batter. Bake the bread with the lid closed for 20 minutes, then remove the lid to brown the bread for a further 10-15 minutes. Once the bread is golden and coming away from the sides of the steamer, turn it out and leave to cool.
For the butter, combine all the ingredients and serve alongside the warm beer bread.
Image and recipe by East After Noon.