Spring Vegetable Braised with Pancetta
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 115g pancetta, cut into small dice
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 100ml dry white wine
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 140g small baby carrots, cleaned and sliced in half lengthways
- 115g asparagus spears, trimmed of any woody parts and cut into 5cm lengths
- 140g frozen, shelled broad beans
- 140g frozen peas
- 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Heat the vegetable oil in the wok, add the pancetta and stir-fry gently for 4-5 minutes until it has become crisped and browned. It is important to cook the pancetta slowly to allow the fat to render without overbrowning the meat.
Push the crisp pancetta to one side, add the onion and continue to stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
Add the wine, bring the contents to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes until the liquid has reduced by around 1/3. Pour in the stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in the carrots, asparagus, broad beans and peas, put on the lid and braise over a low heat for 6-7 minutes until the vegetables are
Add the roughly chopped herbs and drizzle over the olive oil before serving in the wok.