Spicy Tomato Tortilla Soup
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 dehydrated or jarred chipotle chillies
- 1 tsp ground cumin, toasted
- 1 tsp ground coriander, toasted
- 2 x 400g canned cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 – 3 cups vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Sour cream or crème fraiche, to serve
- Corn tortilla chips, to serve
- A handful of exotic tomatoes, sliced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 chillies, chopped
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Pink pickled onions, to garnish
Pan fry the garlic and onion with the chipotle chillies and spices until softened. Add the canned cherry tomatoes and tomato paste then simmer for 5 minutes, before adding enough stock for the desired soup consistency. Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, then season. At this point, the chipotle chillies can be removed.
Add a splash of red wine vinegar to taste. Depending on the desired consistency of the soup, it can be left as is with a little texture or blended for a smoother consistency.
Serve hot in Le Creuset 350ml mugs with all of the delicious Mexican-style toppings.