Spicy Fish Curry with Lime & Basil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. canola oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 fresh green chillies, sliced
- 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric
- 1 twig of fresh curry leaves
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 x 400ml can of cherry tomatoes
- ½ Tbsp. tamarind paste
- 1 x 400ml can of coconut milk
- 500g firm white fish (e.g. hake, cod, kingklip), skinned and deboned
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Blistered vine tomatoes
- Spring greens
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Black sesame seeds
In a Le Creuset 22cm Buffet Casserole, soften the chopped onion in canola oil. Add the garlic, ginger, chillies, spices and curry leaves, and fry for a minute or two until fragrant.
Add the cherry tomatoes and tamarind paste and cook for 5 minutes before adding the coconut milk to simmer for another 20 minutes, to reduce the sauce.
Add the cubed firm white fish to the sauce and simmer until the fish is cooked through and opaque, about 5 minutes.
Serve with fresh basil, blistered vine tomatoes, spring greens, shredded purple cabbage and black sesame seeds.