Spicy Chorizo and Tomato Broth with Cannellini Beans
- 4 long celery stalks, sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 600g vine tomatoes
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x canned whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 1 – 2 litres chicken stock
- 3 x cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh basil, to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Puff pastry dippers:
- 400g frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Poppy seeds or black sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Sea salt, to season
For the soup: Sweat the celery, red onion and garlic in olive oil in a Le Creuset 24cm Signature Round Casserole for 5 minutes. Add the vine tomatoes, sliced chorizo, paprika and fry for a further 3 – 5 minutes. Remove about half of the vine tomatoes and chorizo and set aside. Add the canned cherry tomatoes, chilli and 1.5 litres of stock. Simmer for 25 minutes and season to taste.
For the dippers, preheat the oven to 200°C. Roll out the puff pastry and cut into uneven shard-like slices. Arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds or black sesame seeds and season with sea salt. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and puffy.
To serve: Toss the cannellini beans together with the reserved chorizo and blistered tomatoes. Divide between bowls. Ladle the warm broth over and serve with fresh basil leaves and seeded puff pastry dippers.