- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 750g shoulder venison, cut into larger than bite-size pieces
- 225g shallots, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 160g pack cubed pancetta or chopped streaky bacon
- 125g small shitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 tbsp Blackcurrant Conserve
- 300ml ale
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml stock
- 2 tbsp Soya sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 170ºC (gas mark 3). Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof casserole and brown the venison, a few pieces at a time. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Put the shallots, garlic, pancetta and mushrooms in the pan and fry, stirring, until golden brown. Stir in the thyme and flour.
Return the venison with all the remaining ingredients and bring slowly to the boil. Cover and simmer very gently for 2½ -3 hours or until meltingly tender.
Serve with creamy mash, braised carrots and some steamed tender-stem broccoli.