Seared Black Sesame & Pink Peppercorn Tuna
- 800g sushi-grade fresh tuna, halved
- 50g black sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
For the avocado crème:
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 Tbsps. spring onion flavoured smooth cream cheese or crème fraiche
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
For the lime and ponzu drizzle:
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 2 Tbsps. ponzu sauce
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- Double cream plain yoghurt, to serve
- 4 mini cucumbers, cut into ribbons
- Micro herbs, to garnish
- Pink peppercorns, to serve
Cut the tuna into rectangular slabbed portions before rolling in black sesame seeds to make a crust.
Drizzle olive oil onto a Le Creuset TNS Rectangular Plancha and sear the tuna on all sides for a minute or so. Do not overcook the tuna as you want it to be rare and pink inside. Remove from the heat and rest.
For the avocado crème, puree the mashed avocado with the cream cheese or crème fraiche until smooth, season to taste adding a squeeze of lemon if necessary. Add to a piping bag for plating.
Whisk all of the ingredients together to make the lime and ponzu drizzle and set aside to marinate.
Slice the tuna on a board and arrange on the cooled TNS Rectangular Plancha to serve. Using a piping bag, randomly dot the avocado crème and the plain yoghurt over the tuna. Decorate with cucumber ribbons, micro herbs and a sprinkling of pink peppercorns. Spoon over the lime and ponzu drizzle just before serving.