Savoury Tarte Tatin
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ½ red pepper, seeded and sliced
- ½ green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 beetroot (180 to 200g), cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 1 aubergine (300 to 350g), cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 2 large tomatoes (180 to 200g), cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 350g readymade puff pastry melted butter, for brushing
- 75g goats’ cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the peppers and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt.
Place the fresh thyme and bay leaf on top of the sauce. Reduce the temperature to the lowest heat, cover and stew for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every now and then. Season with a pinch of pepper. Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs, and set aside the sauce.
Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
Line a 23cm Le Creuset Signature Skillet with wax paper. Arrange the beetroot, aubergine and tomatoes slices in the skillet and then spread with the sauce. Dust a little flour over a clean surface and gently roll out the pastry until it is roughly the size of your skillet. Place the pastry over the vegetables in the skillet and brush lightly with a little melted butter.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, and then turn the heat down to 180ºC and bake for a further 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before turning out onto a large plate.
Crumble the goats’ cheese over the top and serve immediately.