- 3 large beets
- 1 garlic bulb
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon za’atar or Mediterranean spice blend
- Assorted crudites and crackers
Preheat oven to 200°C. Place each beet and the garlic bulb on a small piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap each with foil and place on a sheet pan. Roast the beets and garlic for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before carefully removing the skins. Chop the beets and set aside. Remove the skin from the garlic cloves.
In a food processor, combine the chopped beets, garlic cloves, tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Process until smooth.
Transfer the beet hummus to a shallow bowl and swirl in the Greek yoghurt. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with za’atar or Mediterranean spices. Serve with crudites and crackers.