Rare Seared Sirloin Steak Slivers with Feta, Charred Lettuce and Cucumber
Juicy steak slivers mingled with charred cucumbers, lettuce halves and salty feta, make this dish an indulgent yet virtuous pleasure to eat. The dressing finishes the dish off beautifully with a little chilli kick. You can also make wonderful sandwiches using toasted pitta bread or warmed baguettes.
- 600g-800g sirloin steak
- 2 teaspoons of coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of rose harissa
- 50g fresh rocket leaves
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 whole cucumber, quartered lengthways and cut into 7,5cm fingers
- 4 gem lettuce hearts, halved
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the sauce (blitz the below together with a hand/stick blender)
- 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ packet of fresh coriander
- ½ packet of fresh mint, leaves picked
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of cold water
Marinate the steak with the black pepper, harissa and a little olive oil and massage into the meat.
Brush the cucumber and lettuce pieces with olive oil.
Pre-heat the grill on a low to medium heat. Test the temperature of the pan – see Product Tip – and when hot enough add the cucumber and lettuce for a minute or so until they begin to char. The lettuce will take less time as it is more delicate and needs only to be charred on the cut side. Once done, remove from the pan and set aside.
Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper. Test the temperature of the grill again and, if hot enough, begin searing the steak.
Sear the steak on both sides for about 2-3 minutes on each, or more if you wish to cook for longer (see Cook’s notes). Remove from the grill and allow to rest so the juices flow back through the meat to ensure it stays moist and juicy.
Once the meat has rested for at least 5 minutes, thinly slice the steak into slivers and arrange on a warmed platter along with the charred cucumber, lettuce halves, rocket and crumbled feta. Lastly, drizzle over the dressing and serve immediately.