Potted Shrimp Au Gratin
- 300g cooked peeled shrimps or small prawns (fresh or defrosted weight)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 100g small shallots, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300ml (1 ¼ cups) single cream
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce/ Nam pla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 75g (½ cup) grated medium chedder cheese- divided
- 50g (1 cup) fresh white breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges to serve
Divide the peeled cooked shrimps/prawns between the ramekin dishes.
Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the chopped shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes until softened but not coloured. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan away from the heat.
Whisk the cream a little at a time and return to the heat. Stir continuously until thickened.
Add the chilli flakes, black pepper, fish sauce, lemon juice and half the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese has melted into the sauce. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Pour the sauce over the shrimp/prawns.
Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and paprika. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the sauce and pat down gently.
Place the ramekins onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve with a dusting of fresh parsley and a lemon wedge.