Parmesan Meatballs in Sundried Tomato Sauce
- 500g free-range lean beef mince
- ½ cup fresh, brown breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 egg
- zest of half a lemon
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt
- black pepper
Sundried tomato sauce
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 3-4 sundried tomatoes (preserved in oil), mulched
- 625ml (2½ cups) Napoletana sauce
- 180ml (3/4 cup) tomato passata
- a handful fresh basil, to finish
- grated parmesan, to serve
For the meatballs, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Roll into evenly sized balls. You should manage about 20-22.
Heat the olive oil in a Le Creuset Signature Buffet Casserole. Brown the meatballs on all sides, then remove and set aside. In the remaining pan oil, sauté the onion until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add a little more oil if needed. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the sundried tomatoes, Napoletana sauce and passata. Season lightly with salt and black pepper. Add the meatballs back into the pan, cover partially and simmer for around 20 minutes.
Finish with basil and parmesan. Serve the meatballs with warm bruschetta or penne pasta.
Image and recipe by Dianne Bibby.