Nachos with Spicy Bacon and Cheese Dip
- 250g streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 100g butter, cubed
- 100g flour
- 500ml hot milk
- 1 cup mature cheddar, grated
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh coriander, finely chopped, for serving
- 150g tortilla/corn chips
Fry the bacon in a saucepan until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and then discard the fat.
In the same pot, melt the butter and stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook the roux for a minute then whisk in the milk, smoked paprika and chilies.
Lower the heat and allow the sauce to simmer gently until smooth and cooked through, approximately 5-10 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat then stir in the cheese and allow to melt.
Serve the sauce, sprinkled with fresh coriander and extra chilies (optional) with the corn chips.
Recipe and images courtesy of Alida Ryder.