Linguine with Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Gorgonzola and Walnuts
- 400g dried linguine pasta
- 225g Gorgonzola ‘piccante’ cheese, rind removed
- 25g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Leaves from 2 large sprigs thyme, chopped
- 200ml double cream or crème fraîche
- Finely grated zest 1 small, unwaxed lemon
- 600g purple sprouting broccoli- prepared
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 50g walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a really large pan of 3 litres of well-salted water to the boil in the casserole, and prepare a steamer. Add the linguine to the boiling water and cook for 10-12 minutes or until al dente.
Meanwhile, break the cheese into small pieces. Melt the butter in a small pan, add the garlic and cook over a very gentle heat without letting it colour for about 1 minute. Add the thyme leaves and cook for a few seconds more. Add the cream, cheese and lemon zest and leave over a low heat, stirring now and then, until it has formed a thick and creamy sauce. Season well with black pepper.
After the pasta has been cooking for 5 minutes, add the sprouting broccoli to the steamer, sprinkle it lightly with salt and cook for 8 minutes or until quite tender.
Drain the linguine well, saving a little of the cooking liquid as you do so. Return the pasta to the pan and stir in half the creamy cheese sauce and a little of the reserved cooking water, followed by the sprouting broccoli and 50g of the Parmesan cheese. Season with a little salt if you wish. Spoon into warmed bowls, drizzle over the rest of the cheese sauce, then sprinkle with the toasted walnuts and a little more Parmesan cheese.