Lemon Chilli Rice Broth
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 x 5cm piece of ginger, julienned
- 1 red Serrano chilli, sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 – 6 baby leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups brown and wild rice mix
- 2 cups organic chicken stock (plus one extra, optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 free range chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 lemon, zested and halved
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Roasted and salted peanuts, to serve
Rinse the rice in a bowl of water, drain and strain. Repeat three times to remove any excess starch. Preheat the Le Creuset Cocotte Every for 3–4 minutes on a medium heat.
Fry off the garlic, ginger and chilli in batches over a medium heat in the olive oil until crispy. Remove and keep aside. Add the sliced baby leeks and fry before adding half of the reserved garlic, chilli and ginger (remove a tablespoon or two to keep aside for garnish when serving).
Stir the rice into the leeks in the cocotte. Top up with organic chicken stock and 1 cup of water. Cover with the cocotte lid and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to high, add chicken breasts in the broth and poach for 10–15 minutes, along with the zest of 1 lemon. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the cocotte. Turn the heat down to medium again and cook covered for 10 more minutes, adding the juice of half a lemon and seasoning liberally. The extra cup of warm stock can be added at this point as the rice will absorb a lot of the broth. Turn the heat off for 5–10 minutes before serving – the cocotte remains covered with the lid.
Shred the chicken when slightly cooled. Check that the rice is cooked and serve the fragrant rice broth with shredded chicken, toasted peanuts and squeeze of lemon. Garnish with the reserved crispy chilli, garlic and ginger.