- 5 very ripe plum tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium red peppers, seeded and cut into squares
- 1 medium yellow pepper, seeded and cut into squares
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into squares
- 5 courgettes, ends removed and cut into thick slices (or 2 courgettes and 3 patty pans)
- 2 large aubergines, cubed
- 10 small cloves of garlic
- 20 ml chopped garlic
- 20 basil leaves, chopped. (Keep the stalks and tie them in a bundle with a bit of string.)
Halve the tomatoes and bake at 180 °C for 15 minutes, with salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Leave to cool, then cut in half again. Set aside.
While the tomatoes are baking, fry all the vegetables, except the garlic, individually in olive oil in a large frying pan until the edges begin to brown. Lightly season every batch in the pan and then strain in a colander to drain excess oil.
In a large Le Creuset cast-iron pot, fry the garlic cloves in olive oil, until they begin to brown. Add the chopped garlic and fry for a few seconds. Add the rest of the cooked vegetables. Stir well. Add the bundle of basil stalks. Cover and simmer very gently on low heat for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomatoes and cook for another 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, add the chopped basil and stir lightly.