- 6 duck legs approximately 1.25kg
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bulb cloves garlic – broken into cloves and bruised
- 3 sprigs of rosemary – leaves picked
- 6-8 sprigs of thyme – leaves picked
- 2 fresh bay leaves – torn
- 2 x 340g goose fat
Warm Beetroot Salad:
- 450g fresh beetroots – peeled and sliced into slim wedges
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 115g mixed baby salad leaves including chard and spinach
- 2 small heads of red chicory approximately 100g separated into leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- + 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper
For the marinade:
Wipe the duck legs dry and place them loosely into the casserole dish. Rub the sea salt into the duck skin. Add the remaining marinating ingredients and combine. Place the legs skin side down, compacting them together. Put the lid on and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 24hrs or minimum overnight.
Heat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2/Fan Oven 130°C
Remove the duck pieces from the casserole, wipe away the salty marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper. Wash and dry the casserole dish.
Pack the duck pieces skin side up into the cleaned casserole dish and pour over the goose fat.
Place the casserole dish on the hob and bring to a simmer. Place the lid on and transfer to the oven to cook for 2¼ – 2½ hours or until the meat comes away from the bone.
Remove the casserole dish from the oven and allow the cooked duck to cool slightly before lifting from the fat onto a draining rack or kitchen paper.
Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7/Fan Oven 200°C
Place the duck onto a baking sheet and crisp the skin in the oven for 10-12 minutes
To make the Beetroot Salad:
Place the prepared beetroot onto a baking tray, drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning. Roast in a hot oven 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7/Fan Oven 200°C for 25-30 minutes.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
Place the baby leaves, chicory and warm roasted beetroot into a serving dish and drizzle over the citrus dressing. Serve the crisp duck confit with the dressed salad.