Coconut and Turmeric Sunshine Yellow Dahl
- 4 Tbsp ghee
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 8 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 cups chana dahl, soaked overnight
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 x 400ml cans of coconut milk
- 2- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Pink pickled onions, to serve
- Warm roti, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Melt the ghee in a Le Creuset 24cm Signature Round Casserole, then add the garlic, chilli, ginger, cardamom and curry leaves to fry for 2 minutes over medium heat until fragrant. Add the cauliflower florets and turn up the heat fry for a few minutes until they start to catch slightly, before removing from the casserole (keeping some of the fried aromatics in the casserole). Arrange on a baking tray and roast for 15 – 20 minutes until tender.
Reduce the heat for the casserole down to medium. Add the soaked dahl along with the turmeric, all the coconut milk and enough stock just to cover the dahl. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 -30 minutes or until tender, adding more stock if the liquid evaporates. When the dahl is tender, stir in the cauliflower, season to taste and remove from the heat.
Serve warm with roti and pink pickled onions.