Chicken Boulangère with Apples & Lavender
- 1 free range chicken cut into 4 quarters (keep the carcass for stock making)
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled & quartered
- 2 large red onions, peeled & thinly sliced
- 6 garlic gloves, peeled & sliced
- 2 tsp picked fresh thyme
- 2 tsp fresh lavender flowers
- 2 tsp lavender leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, thinly sliced, kept in cold water
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 baby gem lettuce, washed and quartered
- 100g butter
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
Quarter the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
Place a 30cm Le Creuset Signature Buffet Casserole on medium heat. Drizzle a little olive oil in the casserole.
Fry the chicken pieces, leaving them to colour on both sides. Remove the chicken from the casserole, keep the casserole on the heat and add the garlic. Add the onions and stir. Add the potatoes and the apples. Then add the thyme and the lavender and return the chicken pieces to the casserole.
Deglaze with the stock, then add the lettuce wedges and butter. Season generously with salt and pepper, place the lid on and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the lid from the casserole and cook a further 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and garnish with a few more fresh lavender flowers before serving.
Image and recipe courtesy of Chef Franck Dangereux.