Cherry and Cardamon Yoghurt Cake
- 7 eggs, medium
- 350g caster sugar
- 215ml natural yoghurt
- 215ml rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 x 400g tinned cherries, drained – juice reserved
- Reserved cherry juice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) cornflour combined with 2 tablespoons water to make a slurry
Preheat the oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas Mark 4.
Whisk together the eggs and caster sugar for 5 minutes. Slowly add the yoghurt, vanilla and rapeseed oil while still whisking.
Fold in the flour, baking powder and cardamom.
Pour the mixture into the Toughened Non-Stick 20cm Deep Casserole (do not grease or line the casserole).
Place the cherries on the top of the cake mixture and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour. Cover with the lid and bake a further 15-20 minutes. Test with a skewer after 15 minutes. It should come out clean when fully baked.
Rest in the casserole pot for 10-15 minutes before turning out.
Turn out and cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle over the cherry sauce just before serving.
To make the Cherry Sauce:
Place the cherry juice, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring up to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar
Add the cornflour slurry and simmer on a medium heat until the sauce is glossy and thickened.
Set aside to cool.