- 4 garlic cloves, divided
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin
- olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups multi-coloured cherry tomatoes
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 (235ml) bottle clam juice (alternatively, use 235ml good quality fish stock)
- 1.1kg mixed mussels and clams, cleaned
- 1 calamari tube, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 1kg white fish fillets, cut into 5cm pieces
- 3 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 baguette, sliced
Make the rouille first. Mince 2 garlic cloves and transfer to blender. Add basil, mayonnaise, 3 tbsp. of olive oil and lemon juice. Purée until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and chill.
In the Bouillabaisse Pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and fennel. Season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally, until tomatoes burst.
Slice remaining garlic cloves and add to pot. Cook until garlic becomes fragrant, stirring often.
Pour in wine, stirring often, until the wine has reduced and is almost absorbed.
Add clam juice and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
Add shellfish, fish and calamari. Cook, covered, until shellfish open, discarding any that do not. Stir in parsley.
Spread rouille on baguette slices and serve with bouillabaisse.