For the Rouille:
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 65ml mayonnaise
- 45ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 30ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the Stew:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 600g cherry tomatoes
- 200g fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 65ml dry white wine
- 600ml fish stock
- 400ml water
- 800g raw black or white mussels (or a mixture of both), scrubbed and beards removed
- 160g calamari, sliced
- 600g white fish fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Make the rouille. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
Make the stew. Heat the oil in a 26cm Signature Round Casserole over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes and fennel, season with salt and pepper, then cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the wine and cook, stirring often, until it nearly evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in the fish stock and water, then bring to a boil.
Add the mussels, calamari, and fish. Cover and cook until the mussels open wide, about 5 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Stir in the parsley, taste, and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve alongside baguettes slices spread with rouille.