- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into ½cm pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into ½cm pieces
- 8 dozen clams, cleaned (alternatively, mussels)
- 1 x 350ml bottle of pale ale beer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, plus leaves for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large Signature Round Casserole set over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic, shallots, fennel and celery and saute until translucent.
Add clams and beer. Reduce heat to medium, then cover and steam until the clams open. Remove clams to a serving bowl, and discard any that are closed.
Return the casserole to medium-high heat and bring beer to a slow boil. Whisk in butter one tablespoon at a time until melted. Stir in chopped tarragon and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour hot beer sauce over clams. Garnish with tarragon and parsley leaves. Serve with focaccia or other crusty bread.