For the curry paste:
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) turmeric powder
- ½ cup (125ml) macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) ground coriander
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) tamarind
Oil for frying:
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 can (410g) coconut milk
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1 packet green beans
- 1 packet sugar snaps peas
- 500g Patagonian squid
- Steamed basmati rice for serving
- Mint or coriander for serving
- Bean sprouts for serving
Blend together all paste ingredients until smooth.
Heat a glug of oil in a large saucepan and fry paste for a few minutes until fragrant.
Add onion and fry until softened. Add coconut milk and stock.
Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add vegetables and calamari.
Cook for further 5-10minutes or until squid is just cooked.