- 200g cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced (optional for flavour and texture)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 ½ cup Orzo pasta rice
- 3 tsp capers, plus 1 tsp caper brine
- ½ cup pitted olives, plus ¼ cup olive brine
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 50g parmesan and rind
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
Preheat the Le Creuset Cocotte Every for 3-4 minutes on a medium heat.
Cut off the rind of the parmesan (to be added to the cocotte for more flavour), and reserve remaining parmesan to grate over pasta to serve.
Add the ingredients in layers to the cocotte, starting with the tomatoes, onion, garlic, pasta rice, capers and brine, olives and brine, parmesan rind, half of the basil leaves, seasoning, stock and water along with olive oil. The liquid should almost cover the ingredients.
Simmer covered with lid on for 5 minutes. Turn up the heat to high to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the ingredients cook evenly and that the pasta rice does not stick to the bottom of the cocotte. Turn off the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes until the stock evaporates and the pasta is cooked.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, grated parmesan and fresh basil.