- 6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6–8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2–3 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 6 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp. chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp. Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced into 4 wedges
Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken thighs and sauté until browned. Remove once browned on all sides and set aside.
Add the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and turmeric to the same pot and sauté until golden brown. Add the cardamom, cloves, black pepper, coriander, cinnamon stick, chilli powder and cumin seeds, and sauté for a minute or two.
Return the chicken to the pot, add the chopped tomatoes and stock, bring to the boil and then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 30–40 minutes.
Remove from the heat, season to taste and serve, topping each portion with a dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkling of coriander leaves, with a lemon wedge on the side.