Asparagus and Mascarpone Gratin
- 300g asparagus, trimmed of tough woody stems and cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 250g mascarpone
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Extra Parmesan, to garnish
- Few sprigs of thyme, to garnish
Turn the oven on to 220ºC.
Toss together the asparagus, onion and 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a casserole, and season with salt and pepper. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the breadcrumbs with the Parmesan and remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Dollop little spoons full of mascarpone over the asparagus, sprinkle with the nutmeg, and top with the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake for a further 7 to 10 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Garnish with shaved Parmesan and fresh thyme, and serve.